Walk the talk
A policy of sustainability is fundamental in a world where present and future economic and social needs must be balanced with the capacity of the earth’s resources and ecosystems. The EPFL Innovation Park aims to set an example by constantly striving to improve sustainability practices in all areas of its operations.
Engaging our community
In line with EPFL's ambitions, the Park provides companies with training courses, workshops and networking events like the ones below, which help them develop the sustainability of their products and operations.
- The Swiss Triple Impact program as Ecosystem Partner helps companies to make concrete commitments for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Check the STI flyer
- The Sustainability Leaders Think Tank (SLTT), a monthly opportunity to network with other companies from the Park, exchange ideas, raise questions and share the challenges of workable sustainability.
- Sharing articles and starting conversations on the Sustainability Channel of the EPFL Innovation Park app.
- Social entrepreneurship training - Social entrepreneurship is the use of start-up companies and other entrepreneurs to develop, fund and implement solutions to social, cultural, or environmental issues.
Caring about the environment
The entire EPFL campus including the EPFL Innovation Park has maintained its certification by the Nature&Economy Foundation for its natural facilities promoting biodiversity, since 2002. Green areas are landscaped in a natural way using indigenous vegetation. No insecticides or pesticides are used and a nesting site for swallows, as illustrated in the picture opposite, has also been erected between two of the buildings in the park. Swallows are constantly foraging for insects to feed their young and their presence helps reduce the number of mosquitoes and other insects that could affect the green spaces.
Health & well-being
EPFL including the EPFL Innovation Park are taking concrete steps to provide high-quality food choices that are sustainable, seasonal and locally sourced at all restaurants and food outlets. The Sports Center and the lake provide space for outdoor activities enjoyed by the whole community.
Commitment to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
The EPFL Innovation Park is committed to providing leadership in advancing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that are most relevant to the Park and its companies. Strong commitments have been made to contribute concretely to the SDGs that are aligned with our strategic pillars:
- Being a 360° ecosystem driven by societal impact (SDGs 8/9/17)
- Managing sustainably our infrastructures, energy and resources (SDGs 7/9/12/13)
- Providing a workplace where employees can grow and enjoy a fulfilling career (SDG 8)